Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"And that's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown."




Charlie Brown Christmas is on tonight!


It is my third favorite Christmas special of all time (first being the afore-posted Muppet Family Christmas and second being Rudolph - but we'll get to him when he airs). As a kid, I thought Charlie Brown was kind of dull (get to the flying reindeer!), but as I grew older I appreciated this special much more...



It has a simple kind of joy to it...comfort TV. When Linus gives his speech and the gang fianlly realizes that Charlie's choice of Christmas Tree wasn't so bad after all, it's...well, it's sweet. It's nice. And at this time of the year, I'll let go of my cynicism, rationality, and sarcarstic outlook of life for at least a half and hour and believe in Linus's speech:



"And there were in the same country shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them! And they were sore afraid ... And the angel said unto them, "Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ, the Lord."


"And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the Heavenly Host praising God, and saying, "Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth peace, and good will toward men."



And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Totally agree with the "it was boring when I was young, but now it's moving" sentiment.

Alas, I forgot it was on and didn't watch.

It's November! Why are they airing a Chalie Brown Christmas in November.

Kelly said...

Oh wait, it's today. I didn't miss it afterall. Duh.