Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Thank You, Casting Gods...The Haggis Is On Me.


Ok, so I've been feeling a little down about my entertainment options. No new music I like...can't remember the last time I actually wanted to spend actual money to see an actual movie in an actual theater (actually, I do. It was Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween...what? I was curious)...and due to the Writers' Guild Strike no new Daily Shows or Colbert Reports for the forseeable future (are bears good or evil? It's getting a bit foggy....)

The other day, however, I opened up my copy of Entertainment Weekly and found out that the cast for the new Star Trek movie (the one being directed by J.J. Abrams - creator of Lost and Alias)has been finalized. I was intrigued:

Chris Pine as Kirk - Never heard of him. That could be either good (hey, who heard of Christopher Reeve before he made the first Superman either) or bad. I feel for the guy, though. He's got big shoes to fill...big, hammy shoes.

Zachary Quinto as Spock - Ok, I've watched Heroes. I could see this. On the plus side, I've read that he wanted this role as soon as he heard they were casting for it. I infer from this that he is a fan of Trek so it's nice to have someone who's passionate about the character take on the role. Plus, he's a good enough sport to have guested on The Soup.

Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy - Eomer from Lord of the Rings as Bones? Ummmmmm, Okaaaay? Personally, even though he's too old for this re-working of Trek, I still think Gary Sinise would have made an awesome McCoy.

Simon Pegg as Scotty - Wait. What? This is awesome!!! Tim from Spaced? Shaun from Shaun of the Dead? I love this guy! And if Scotty beats up alien zombies with a pool cue while Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" plays on an intergalactic jukebox in the back ground? Even better.

And The Rest:

John Cho as Sulu
Zoe Saldana as Uhura
Anton Yechin as Chekov

Oh, and some little known guy called Leonard Nemoy as Older Spock - kids got a lot of talent, looks like he'll go far.

Now how about some 3D chess?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Zachary Quinto as Spock"

Oh, yeah, you'll like it until he telekinetically slices the top of McCoy's head off...